Frequency of Piriformis Syndrome among Female Physiotherapy Students of Gujranwala, Pakistan

Piriformis Syndrome among Female Physiotherapy Students


  • Shazal Nazir Department of Physical Therapy, Gujranwala Institute of Rehabilitation Sciences, Gujranwala
  • Ghazia Asmat Department of Physical Therapy, Gujranwala Institute of Rehabilitation Sciences, Gujranwala
  • Umair Ashfaq Department of Physical Therapy, Gujranwala Institute of Rehabilitation Sciences, Gujranwala
  • Tehmina Saeed Department of Physical Therapy, Gujranwala Institute of Rehabilitation Sciences, Gujranwala



Piriformis Syndrome, Piriformis Muscle, Fat Wallet Syndrome or Wallet Neuropathy, Sciatic pain


Piriformis Syndrome (PS) is a neuromuscular disorder that is caused when piriformis muscle compresses the sciatic nerve. Its prevalence is very high in sedentary population and young people have more risk factors of getting affected with piriformis tightness that causes PS and later on lower back pain. The incidence rate of PS among patients with lower back pain varies from 5% to 36%, prevalence with sciatic nerve is 17% and prevalence with common peroneal nerve is 81%. Its etiology can be primary or secondary. Primary will be anatomical variation and secondary will be due to any other causes (trauma or local ischemia). It is more common in females with ratio of 3 to 1 Objectives: To determine the frequency of piriformis syndrome among the female physical therapy students of Gujranwala. Methods: It was a cross-sectional study conducted in physical therapy female students of different institutes of Gujranwala. Data was collected from 195 students with Convenient sampling technique. The Diagnostic tools used was Visual Analogue Scale Piriformis syndrome diagnostic criteria. Results: Out of 195 female physical therapy students 72 (36.9%) had a high score and had a high probability of having piriformis syndrome. Only (4) 2.1% were unlikely of having piriformis syndrome while in majority of the participants 119 (61%) piriformis syndrome was not considered. Conclusions:
Female physical therapy students of Gujranwala have a low to moderate probability of having PS, with increased probability of buttock pain associated with prolonged sitting.


Dey S, Das S, Bhattacharyya P. Piriformis syndrome: a clinical review. Journal of Evolution of Medical and Dental Sciences. 2013;2(15):2502-8.

Ayhan S, Nabiyev VN, Yetisyigit Y, Palaoglu S, Yorubulut M. Complementary specific pelvic sequences on routine lumbar magnetic resonance imaging scans: an imaging-based study focused on piriformis syndrome. Turk Neurosurg. 2019;29(5):698-704.

Tanveer F, Shahid S. Frequency of Piriformis tightness in professionals middle aged women. Rawal Medical Journal. 2018;43(4):685-7.

Warner S, Munawar A, Ahmad A, Fatima M, Waqas M. Prevalence of piriformis syndrome among university of Lahore male students. Rawal Medical Journal. 2018;43(2):306-8.

Sai Teja T, Sai Krishna G, Krupa Sagar Y, Komal Krishna T. Fat wallet syndrome: a mini review. Eur J Biomed Pharm Sci. 2016;3:633-5.

Sun C-H, Lu S-C, Wu Y-T, Chang S-T. Development of unilateral piriformis syndrome in a female with congenital leg length discrepancy. Open J Orthop. 2012;2(4):135-7.

Jeon SY, Moon HS, Han YJ, Sung CH. Post-radiation piriformis syndrome in a cervical cancer patient-a case report. The Korean journal of pain. 2010;23(1):88.

Kim J-E, Kim K-H. Piriformis syndrome after percutaneous endoscopic lumbar discectomy via the posterolateral approach. European Spine Journal. 2011;20(10):1663-8.

Mondal M, Sarkar B, Alam S, Das S, Malik K, Kumar P, et al. Prevalence of piriformis tightness in healthy sedentary individuals: a cross-sectional study. IJHSR. 2017;7(7):134-42.

Boyajian-O'Neill LA, McClain RL, Coleman MK, Thomas PP. Diagnosis and management of piriformis syndrome: an osteopathic approach. Journal of Osteopathic Medicine.


Singh US, Meena RK, Singh CAK, Singh AJ, Singh AM, Langshong R. Prevalence of piriformis syndrome among the cases of low back/buttock pain with sciatica: a prospective study. Journal of Medical Society. 2013;27(2):94.

Shah SS, Consuegra JM, Subhawong TK, Urakov TM, Manzano GR. Epidemiology and etiology of secondary piriformis syndrome: A single-institution retrospective study. Journal of Clinical Neuroscience. 2019;59:209-12.

Kean Chen C, Nizar AJ. Prevalence of piriformis syndrome in chronic low back pain patients. A clinical diagnosis with modified FAIR test. Pain Practice. 2013;13(4):276-81.

Vassalou EE, Fotiadou A, Ziaka D, Natsiopoulos K, Karantanas AH. Piriformis muscle syndrome: MR imaging findings and treatment outcome in 23 patients. Hellenic Journal οf Radiology. 2017;2(4).

Velappanchavadi C. Effectiveness of muscle energy technique versus stretching in subjects with piriformis syndrome. Int J Physiother Res. 2019;7(5):3252-56.

Jamaly A, Mohsenifar H, Amiri A. The effects of dry needling in combination with physical therapy on improvement of pain and hip internal rotation range in patients with piriformis syndrome. Journal of Clinical Physiotherapy Research. 2018;3(3):118-22.

Miller TA, White K, Ross D. The diagnosis and management of Piriformis Syndrome: myths and facts. Canadian journal of neurological sciences. 2012;39(5):577-83.

Astarini NMWT, Wahyuni N, Wibawa A, Indrayani AW, Widyadharma IPE. Prevalence and risk factor of piriformis syndrome among online motorcycle taxis in Denpasar, Bali. Bali Anatomy Journal. 2020;3(1):24-7.

Siddiq MAB. Piriformis syndrome and wallet neuritis: are they the same? Cureus. 2018;10(5).

Laha K, Sarkar B, Kumar P, Patel L, Sarkar N. Efficacy of hip abductor and extensor strengthening on pain, strength and lower extremity function in piriformis syndrome: a randomized clinical trial. Int J Health Sci Res. 2018;8(9):80-8.

Michel F, Decavel P, Toussirot E, Tatu L, Aleton E, Monnier G, et al. Piriformis muscle syndrome: diagnostic criteria and treatment of a monocentric series of 250 patients. Annals of physical and rehabilitation medicine. 2013;56(5):371-83.

Shah SIH, Muneer S. Prevalence of Piriformis Syndrome in Working and Non Working Women with Low Back Pain: JRCRS. 2014; 2 (2): 6-11. Journal Riphah College of Rehabilitation Sciences. 2014;2(2):6-11.



DOI: 10.54393/pbmj.v5i1.175
Published: 2022-01-31

How to Cite

Nazir, S., Asmat, G., Ashfaq, U., & Saeed, T. (2022). Frequency of Piriformis Syndrome among Female Physiotherapy Students of Gujranwala, Pakistan: Piriformis Syndrome among Female Physiotherapy Students. Pakistan BioMedical Journal, 5(1), 103–107.



Original Article